Wednesday, March 14, 2018

¡Vamos a Cuba!







¡Cuba!
By Kitty Tyree


In just two short days, a group of twenty-two Saints, including myself, will be meeting at BWI airport at the lovely hour of 4:20am for our trip to Cuba. My grandmother is Cuban and she left there when she was a teenager. In the summer of 2016, my family traveled with her to Cuba for the first time since she had left over fifty years ago. So, I will be traveling to Cuba for the second time. On this trip, we are going to be doing service on a farm in Viñales as well as exploring Havana for a few days. On the farm, I’m excited to learn more about the agricultural side of the country and how it ties into the economy. Something I am really looking forward to is staying with host families in Viñales. Not only is it going to be a good way to immerse ourselves in Cuban culture, but constantly being around fluent spanish is beneficial for practicing the language. One of the things that shocked me most when I was looking for a gift for the host family was that one of the things suggested was medicine. It was a reality check when I realized that while I can easily go into my medicine cabinet and get ibuprofen, it’s difficult for Cubans to get something as simple as that. I am incredibly excited for this trip and cannot wait to go! I am sure that it will be an unforgettable experience. !Vámonos!




¡Vamos a Cuba!
By Helen Treadway



Finally this Friday, after six months of anticipation, we are going to Cuba! It seems totally crazy to think that in less than two days we will be finally be there. This trip will be my first time traveling to Latin America and I cannot wait! We will be staying in the small town of Viñales with host families, and one of my only hopes is that my Spanish holds up and that I am able to fully to communicate with my family without making a complete fool of myself. I am so excited to make new friends, learn about Cuban culture, food, and more about the Spanish language, however I do admit that I am a little bit nervous and sceptical about our salsa dancing lessons (I have absolutely no rhythm). I cannot wait to experience what it's like to work on a farm and to explore the wildlife in Cuba as we go on hikes through the Valle del Silencio. This trip is going to be absolutely amazing, and I cannot wait for the experiences and the memories that I already know will never forget.

No comments: