Saturday, June 23, 2012

Final Day in Xi'an


Today we visited two important historic sites in Xi'an, but before that I started my day in a fascinating way. I had heard from some in my group that the park across the street from our hotel was filled with people exercising in many unique ways, so this morning I took a walk in the park and checked it out for myself. It was indeed an exercise mecca- people, mostly elderly, we're doing a variety of exercises both with park equipment and without. Many were doing various forms of martial arts, even with swords and bamboo sticks. There was even a dance class in a nearby parking lot! What a wonderful way to start the day! While the US struggles with an obesity epidemic, I wonder if this is part of why there are very few overweight people in China.




Later in the morning we visited the Wild Goose Pagoda. This was built by a monk who traveled all the way to India and back and who brought Buddhism to the country. There is a temple at the foot of the pagoda where one can light a candle or incense in memory of someone or to make a wish. Our guide told that around 25% of Chinese would consider themselves Buddhists. We then visited they city's impressive wall which consists of miles of wall and 94 guard houses.

In the afternoon we flew to Shanghai.

No comments: